New York: Perls Gallery, 1950. 8vo. [4 pp.] Printed Wraps, Very Good. Illustrated cover. Scarce.
The Perls Gallery in New York was founded in 1937 by Klaus Gunther Perls (1912-2008) and his brother, Franz R. Perls,(1910-1975), after having worked at their mother's Galerie Kate Perls in Paris. Following his marriage to Amelia Blumenthal of Philadelphia in 1940 , Klaus and Amelia B. Perls jointly ran the gallery. They specialized in modern French painting while Franz established the Frank Perls Gallery in Beverly Hills.
He originally dealt in works by Maurice Utrillo, Maurice de Vlaminck and Raoul Dufy that his mother sent from Paris, until the Nazi occupation. When she was forced to flee France, he began dealing in now little known contemporary American artists, including Darrel Austin, and in Mexican and South American art such as Mario Carreno. After the war, Klaus again dealt in French art from the School of Paris.
Artists in the Perls' stable included Rouault, Picasso, Léger, Derain, Dufy, Matisse, Modigliani, Pascin, Soutine and Vlaminck. The Perls Galleries closed in 1997. Item #15-8124