Marshall, Texas, circa 1930s. Etching. 3.25 x 2.25 inches plate size. Margins. One of 50signed, numbered and titled impressions. Marginal flaws.
Biography from: William Reaves | Sarah Foltz Fine Art :
Don Adair Brown's art career was varied in that he not only painted but was also involved in commercial art as an illustrator and as a teacher. In addition to working as an artist, he also spent many years as a newspaper correspondent.
Brown was born in Taylor, Texas in 1898, received his primary education through the public schools in Marshall after his family located in Harrison, County in 1909. He attended the Art Institute of Chicago after graduating from high school. After spending two years in the army, he continued his education graduating from Centenary College, Shreveport, Louisiana. Brown moved to New York City where he studied with Boardman Robinson, Thomas Hart Benton, Kenneth Hayes Miller, and John Sloan at the Art Students League of New York. In addition, Brown was a student of Andre L'hote in Paris and attended the Academie de la Gande Chaumiere between 1923 and 1926.
After Brown returned to the United States, he worked for the American Newspaper Alliance writing aviation articles. During the years between 1932 and 1934, he taught drawing and painting at the College of Marshall. He joined the faculty at Centenary College in 1934 as the head of the art department. During the 50's, Brown taught at a summer art school on Caddo Lake.
Brown died of a heart attack aboard his houseboat on Caddo Lake near Karnack. He is buried in Marshall, Texas.
Art affiliations for Brown included, Lone Star Printmaker, The Shreveport Art Club and Shreveport Artists and Writers Guild. Exhibitions for Brown include, Annual Texas Artists Exhibition, Fort Worth (1916, 1936); Dallas Woman's Forum; Galerie Jeune Peinture, Paris, 1931; and the Texas Centennial Exposition, Dallas, 1936.
From the collection Natalie Williams of Marshall, Texas, one of the owners of the Made-Rite Company and a patroness of artists and an art donor to Texas A & M University. Item #51-2239